A Condensed History of the Walther PPK pistol
The original Walther PP(Polizeipistole) was designed by Carl Walther Waffenfabrik, was manufactured by Carl Walther Sportwaffen and was released in 1929.
It was designed for police use and was used by police forces in Europe in the 1930’s and later. The semi-automatic pistol operated using a simple blowback action. The PPK was design with several safety features, some of them innovative, including an automatic hammer block, a combination safety/de-cocker and a loaded chamber indicator.
The most common variant is the PPK, a smaller version of the PP with a shorter grip, barrel and frame and a reduced magazine capacity, a new two-piece wrap-around grip panel construction was used to conceal the exposed backstrap. The smaller size made it more concealable than the original PP and hence better suited to plainclothes or undercover work. The PPK was released in 1930.
“PPK” is an abbreviation for Polizeipistole Kriminalmodel (detective police pistol).
During World War II, the PP and the PPK were issued to the German military, including the Luftwaffe, as well as the police.
The design inspired other pistols, among them the Soviet Makarov, the Hungarian FEG PA-63, the Polish P-64, the American Accu-Tek AT-380 II and the Argentinian Bersa Thunder 380.
Walther had presented the murderous dictator Adolph Hitler with a Gold-plated PPK in the 1930’s of which Hitler killed himself on April 30, 1945.
The Walther PPK pistol was made famous by being the weapon used by fictional 007 secret agent James Bond in many of the novels authored by Ian Fleming and in subsequent films.
Singer and actor Elvis Presley owned a Silver-finish PPK, inscribed with the letters “TCB” (Taking Care of Business)
An expanded history of the Walther PPK can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/walther_PP